Alright, you’ve set up your styles and written your book. Now you need to save your work as a HTML file. Once saved you can upload it to Calibre. I would suggest you then transfer the file to your Kindle/reader and see how it looks, you may have to play around with the formatting a little to get it right.
Next you will need to set up a Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) account at http://kdp.amazon.com. You do not need an ISBN to publish on Kindle as Amazon use their own ASIN. Once you’ve done this and you have your formatting sorted, you can upload the file to Amazon via KDP and that’s it, you’re published.
A few tips passed onto me were:-
- Design in both greyscale and colour as many readers now have colour screens.
- Get an ABN (Australian Business Number for tax purposes in Australia)
- Get an EIN (Employer Identification Number for tax purposes in the USA)
And of course a few tips of my own:-
- Make sure your book is polished – If you upload rubbish it is not going to benefit you in the long run.
- Look into cover design – again if you rely on rubbish it will not benefit you in the long term.
- Research keywords and use the most popular ones to give yourself the best chance of being found.
This is not a concise step by step guide by any means, but it may help you to get started. I would also like to hear from you if you have any related blogs or other useful info regarding how to do this, if you do, feel free to leave a comment about it.